Solid Waste Industry Services
Yorke Engineering has completed over 100 projects at more than 35 solid waste processing facilities, and our combined staff experience includes over 7,500 air quality, water, waste, and safety projects in various industries throughout the State of California. As one of the premier environmental, health, and safety (EH&S) consulting companies in the solid waste industry, Yorke Engineering’s staff helps EH&S managers both locally and at a corporate level with the wide variety of environmental permitting and compliance requirements specific to each facility. We leverage our technical skills, regulatory knowledge, and experience working with regulatory agencies to help our clients comply with the requirements of California’s local air districts, the California Air Resources Board (CARB), local Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs), the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), the United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA), the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA), Regional Water Quality Control Boards, and many other environmental regulators. Services we have provided to clients in the solid waste management industry are listed below.
- Permitting support for waste-to-biogas projects;
- Conveying line permit modifications;
- Air permit conditions and regulatory review;
- Indoor composting facility permitting;
- Landfill and composting project air permitting;
- Permitting for digesters and engines;
- Green waste, wood grinder, and other waste processing equipment permits;
- Permanent Total Enclosure permits under SCAQMD Rule 415;
- Permits for renewable power projects;
- Permits for compost drying systems with baghouses;
- Emergency generator permits and variances;
- Permit review, alternative emission factor calculations, and air district discussions;
- Pyrolysis process permit applications with Health Risk Assessments (HRAs); and
- Best Available Control Technology (BACT) analysis.
- Odor control system plans and permitting;
- Fenceline odor monitoring and dispersion modeling;
- Enclosure feasibility studies; and
- SCAQMD Rule 410 (Odors from Transfer Stations and Material Recovery Facilities) compliance support.
California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Analyses
- Air permit and CEQA applicability analyses;
- Landfill and composting project CEQA HRAs;
- CEQA air quality technical reports;
- CEQA air quality and greenhouse gas analyses; and
- Planning department presentations for proposed facilities.
- Industrial General Permit (IGP) Annual Comprehensive Site Compliance Evaluation (ACSCE);
- No Discharge or No Exposure initial assessments;
- Level 1 and Level 2 Exceedance Response Action (ERA) assistance;
- Storm Water Multiple Application and Report Tracking System (SMARTS) data entry;
- Ad Hoc reports; and
- Creating or revising a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP).
Hazardous Materials and Hazardous Waste
- SB 14 performance report, source reduction evaluation, and summary progress report;
- Universal waste process assessments;
- Hazardous Materials Business Plans (HMBPs) and annual site inspection support; and
- P.E. Certified Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plans and training.
- CARB mobile source fleet compliance;
- Waste treatment facility HRAs;
- Renewable Fuel Standard engineering review reports;
- Safety compliance assistance;
- Annual Emissions Reporting (AER);
- Air compliance audits;
- Source test oversight;
- Air monitoring program for toxic dusts; and
- BAAQMD Rule 11-18 risk reduction support.